Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The C7 (seventh generation) Corvette...what we know so far

The future of the Corvette is coming, but not soon enough for many enthusiasts, since the run of the current generation C6 variant has spanned from 2005 to 2012 and counting.  We know that the upcoming C7 Corvette will be coming in model year 2013 or 2014 at this point, and we're also fairly sure that it will still be a front engined, rear wheel drive V8 powered car.  Other that that, plenty of speculation remains.

As a former Corvette owner, I truly and desperately hope that they finally take some time to really bring the interior upscale.  I owned a 2004 model Z06 once upon a time (2006 actually) and although I loved the car from the point of view of performance and styling, I honestly ended up selling the car over its interior.  In fact, I still find myself pining for the sweet, high revving LS6 engine and the unbelievably convenient heads up display (HUD) which should be standard in every performance car.  If GM keeps the original formula mostly intact and significantly upgrade the interior, I predict a clear winner.

The current speculation has GM going to a smaller displacement (5.5L) V8 engine, but this time outfitted with direct fuel injection, cam within a cam timing tricks, and higher compression to land somewhere close to 500 hp on the base model.  Even better is that the car is set to retain its manual transmission option, even moving up to a 7 speed manual option.  The entire car might be a little lighter than the current C6, which is of course welcome news to me!

So, the wait will be with us for some time to come, but I'm hopeful that more pictures and details emerge at a steady rate to keep us excited and optimistic about the Corvette's future.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll find myself behind the wheel of a C7 model in the future?  I always remain open to these cars as I do have fond memories of them!

I leave you with a picture of my previous 2004 Z06!


1 comment:

  1. Steve, i feel like a complete ass for contacting you like this but i cannot find another way... I need help on SF and cannot seem to find it.. can you email me at inerax@comcast.net and we can chat?

    ReplyDelete